14 September 2011

i made ketchup.

Did so. You don't believe me, do you?

One morning, Sweetpea asked, “I wonder if we could make ketchup?”

A few hours later, we had a small batch of ketchup made from our very own tomatoes. Big mom points!
When I first started looking for recipes, I kept finding canning recipes. No, no, no. I don't can. (Yet.) And I don't want eight jars of the stuff, I just want to try homemade ketchup. I might not like it.

Finally I found the perfect recipe for small-batch ketchup on Small Potatoes. No sugar added! Thank goodness, because our tomatoes are super sweet. One note: her recipe lists ground cloves twice. I think the first (1/4 tsp) is supposed to be cinnamon, because I used 1/4 tsp cloves and it is really clovey.

But even with the clove mishap, it's still great! Tastes like ketchup. Thick like ketchup. And I know exactly what went into it. What a fun little project!